Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Modern Game

It is so interesting learning about the origin of the game I love so much while being able to play the modern game as well. Today was the Varsity Girls Lacrosse team's last home game, and to be honest was pretty emotional for the seniors. I started my day with, yet again, more research on the history of lacrosse. I found out there were multiple variations of the game played by the different tribes of Native Americans. One, played with two sticks and the more violent of the types, and another, the variation that is most like the modern game, played with a single, 3 foot stick were the most common of the games.
Being the seniors last home game, and being a captain and senior myself, I had a lot of preparation to do before the game, but I set aside a good 3 hours to work thoroughly on my movie and research. My mother also came up today for the game and graciously brought her wooden stick from high school and college for me to use as a model. I had the opportunity to throw around a bit with the stick after the game and got a good feel of what I am going to be making next week. Also, it was so cool to throw and catch with the wooden stick and my modern day stick and get an idea of the evolution of the sticks. Overall it was a productive day for my movie and I cannot wait to learn more about the Native American culture that started the game of lacrosse tomorrow at the Mt Kearsarge Indian Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment