Monday, May 24, 2010

Weaving

I always thought the weaving of my stick head would be the easiest part of my stick. Alas, I was quite wrong. First, I soaked the rawhide in water for a while until it became lenient and alterable. Once it was soaked, I thread it through the holes for the side wall and doubled it up and coiled it until it was a sturdy sidewall. Once it hardened, it really hardened and became taught and tight so it is almost and actual wall. From the looks of it, it looks like it will definitely keep the ball in the weaving. After the sidewall dried and hardened, I took the Latigo (substitution for the leather shooting strings) strips and made four taught strings in the middle of the head. I had to replicate the exact way the strings were strung by using my mother's stick as a model. This was very hard and took a very long time. Tomorrow I will go to Concord to get the rest of my strings and finish my weaving tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment