Monday, May 17, 2010

Today was the first day of my wooden lacrosse stick making. Personally it was my most exciting day because this is what I picked my senior project to do in the first place. I have only ever been in the wood shop while giving tours, so when I walked in this morning during george's E block class, I did not know where to begin. Greg helped a lot by cutting the strips of wood I would need later to make the base of the stick. The reason we need to use strips of wood and not just cut a block is because you can bend and shape a bundle of sticks without the wood peeling or breaking. After that, I could not be in the wood shop alone, because I did not know what I was doing and George and Greg could not be present after 9:30 AM. So, I spent the rest of the morning researching where I could buy rawhide and leather strips to make the weaving for the head. Then, at 1 I went back into the wood shop and George and I glued the strips together and bent the wood to the shape of the form Greg had made. We used clamps to secure the wood to the form so it would dry in that position. This process had to be quick so we could shape the wood before the glue dried.

Here's a picture of the form and the wooden strips:

No comments:

Post a Comment