Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Woodshop Work

Today's events started out a little hectic when I got in my car to go get my materials in Chelmsford and realized that I had left my credit card and license at a Mcdonald's an hour and a half away. Luckily, with a little research I found that Gregor had picked up my wallet and kept it safe (thanks Gregor). So with a late start, I raced down to Tandy's Leather in Chelmsford, Mass. There, I talked with the owner about which materials would be best and most accurate for my replicated Indigenous stick. Surprisingly, he was very knowledgeable on the subject and helped me pick out stripped rawhide, leather, and latigo lace for the weaving of my stick head. We chatted for a while about other things that originated from the Native American culture and he showed me various types of shaped objects such as moccasins, spoons, bowls, cases for various different things, etc. It was very interesting to see all of these intricate artifacts and be able to appreciate how Native Americans used there resources.
After I got back, I was able to spend a few hours on shaping my stick. I was able to take it out of the form and clamps and amazingly it had stayed perfectly shaped. Greg then shaved the excess glue off and made the sides smooth and even with a very scary blade. I then made my lines on my stick where I was going to grind the wood and make the stick strategically shaped for the game of lacrosse. It was scary to use the grinder at first, but then, as I got the hang of it, it was hard to stop and I just wanted to do it more and more. After today, my stick is mostly shaped and ground. However, I still have a lot of finishing touches to do before I start my weaving on the head. Tomorrow I will finish that up and hopefully start the weaving on the stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment